Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 3 servings
- 6 oz Chickpea Penne
- 1 cup Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Vegan Yogurt (make sure it is flavorless, do not add in any "fruity" yogurt)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance Butter
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup VioLife Vegan Parmesan Cheese Wedge, shredded
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Frozen Artichoke Hearts
- 1 tsp Za'atar (or italian seasoning or herbs de provence)
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
Start by boiling the pasta according to instructions. Drain the pasta after it's done cooking, rinse the pasta, and then place into a colander and allow to sit while preparing the sauce.
Cook the frozen artichoke hearts according to instructions. Since I am using the Trader Joe's frozen artichoke hearts, I rinsed them for 1 minute inside of a colander and then microwaved them with 2 tbsp of water for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and allow to cool.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add in 1 tbsp of butter. Allow the butter to foam for at least one minute and then add in the four. Whisk immediately. Continue to whisk until it forms a paste. Allow this to cook for 1 minute. Add in the coconut milk. Whisk until it begins to thicken, then add in the za'atar, garlic salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Continue to whisk and then add in the vegan parmesan cheese and yogurt. Start with a 1/2 cup of cheese, if that's not enough cheese for you, then add more.
Add in the pasta, spinach, and artichoke hearts. Mix until the sauce completely covers the pasta.
Remove the pasta from heat and top with more shredded vegan parmesan cheese.
- Sauce too thick? Reserve pasta water (or use regular water) and use it to thin it out.
- The cheese measurement in this recipe isn't exact since I did not measure it. I added in a lot of the vegan cheese, so this is merely an estimate. Add as much vegan parmesan as you desire. It will turn out good with too much of this, since the cheese isn't as strong tasting as regular parmesan cheese.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.7g | Protein: 17.5g | Fat: 22.6g | Saturated Fat: 14.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1233.8mg | Potassium: 19.8mg | Fiber: 9.9g | Sugar: 7.7g | Vitamin A: 29.4% | Vitamin C: 12.1% | Calcium: 8.4% | Iron: 38.4%