Can you believe that I have never eaten curry before? My knowledge of Indian food is nonexistent. There’s a low possibility that this recipe is truly authentic. This vegan jackfruit curry is full of flavor and plants, so it’s worth giving a try! After deciding I wanted to make something different today, I said that whatever I made had to include jackfruit. Jackfruit has been in my pantry for awhile. Unfortunately, I never think to cook with it! One of my favorite ways to eat jackfruit is to cover it in some good quality barbecue sauce and eat it on top of some fries with vegan queso. That is such a winning combo.
Jackfruit has to be cooked all the way through so that it gets tender. When I first started cooking jackfruit, I thought it wouldn’t have to cook so long. Cooking jackfruit for 3 minutes with a little oil isn’t long enough, and that’s what I would do. Additionally, it’s important to know that jackfruit needs lots of flavors added to it. For instance, you won’t want to eat jackfruit if it’s just seasoned with salt and pepper and nothing else.
As of late, I’ve been struggling with my eyes. Due to the fact that I spend too much time on the computer, on my phone, or watching television, my eyes have changed. This article that I read today before cooking my jackfruit states that jackfruit is “rich in vitamin A content that helps reduce the chances of macular degeneration or vision loss, further enhancing eye vision.” There will definitely be a lot more jackfruit recipes here on the blog.
How to make vegan jackfruit curry:
Vegan jackfruit curry isn’t difficult to make. As I’ve stated above, I’m not quite sure if this recipe is “true” to the authentic way of making curry. Ingredients were just thrown together and it worked for me.
First I sauteed some red onion in avocado oil, I let them caramelize a little bit and then I added in the jackfruit. Seasoned the jackfruit in a skillet with turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and 21 seasoning salute. Before shredding the jackfruit, I let the jackfruit cook completely. After 10 minutes, I started to shred the jackfruit.
After adding in the coconut cream, I added in some vegetable broth! I did not see any broths used in some of the recipes that I saw online. Curries are known to be rich in flavor, adding in vegetable broth to this vegan jackfruit curry help add an additional depth of flavor.
The vegetables included in this dish are peas, chickpeas,
To go with this vegan jackfruit curry, I served it with fonio cooked in vegetable broth!
Want more recipes?
- Vegan Omelet
- Air Fryer Cajun Sweet Potato Fries
- Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Pasta
- Mixed Berry Pancake Skillet
- 1/2 cup Canned Jackfruit
- 1/4 a Red Onion
- 1 13 oz can Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Red Split Lentils
- 1/3 cup Green Peas
- 1 1/2 cup Tuscan Kale
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp 21 Seasoning Salute
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Herbs De Provence
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kite Hill Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil
- Start by rinsing and sorting the red lentils. Set aside. During this time, cook the chickpeas and drain them from the aquafaba once they’re done. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat, add in 1 tsp of avocado oil and red onions. Saute until the onions begin to caramelize a little. Add in the jackfruit. Season with 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp 21 seasoning salute, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp herbs de provence. Allow the jackfruit to cook for at least 10 minutes before shredding. Once the jackfruit has begun to tenderize, shred it.
- After completely shredding the jackfruit, add in the coconut cream and reduce the heat to medium/low. Stir the jackfruit in the coconut cream and then add in the vegetable broth.
- Add in the green peas, red split lentils, chickpeas, and yogurt. Stir until completely mixed. Add in the tsp of curry powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, and minced garlic. Stir again. Reduce the heat to a lower temperature and allow to simmer on the stove for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Once done, serve with fonio or rice!
The post above contains affiliate links in which I will make a small profit from if you choose to make a purchase. Read more about this here.