Vegan Chocolate Sugar Cookies. Nothing else needs to be said. The texture of these vegan chocolate sugar cookies are similar to the softness of a peanut butter cookie. These cookies are like biting into a soft chocolate brownie, but in cookie form. Chocolate is healthy, right? These cookies are guilt free! Well, that depends on who you ask. A lot of us are starting to cut back on our sugar intake in general.
I wanted to make a different version of these cookies after making my blackberry sugar cookies. These were also inspired by the Williams-Sonoma recipe in their book called Chocolate Smash Cookies. My version is different because my recipe is vegan, and I think mine are way easier to make! First off, I just want to let you all know that I love the Williams-Sonoma baking book and I just want to make every single recipe in it. I’ve been on a bit of a baking kick lately! I prefer to bake and photograph baked goods these days more than anything else. It’s so much more exciting than cooking anything else!
How to make vegan chocolate sugar cookies:
First off, if you haven’t seen my post about how to make the best vegan blackberry sugar cookies – GO check that out right now! I give a lot more tips there. You can easily follow that recipe and just add some cocoa powder to it. These are made slightly differently than those. Both methods will work very well!
Next, do you want to make an even healthier version of this recipe? Substitute the vegan chocolate chips for cacao nibs. These cookies won’t be as sweet, but they will still be delicious.
Also, feel free to substitute the coconut oil for butter! I didn’t have any butter in the house when I made these cookies, so I had opted to use coconut oil instead.
Don’t eat gluten free or don’t use gluten free flours? Substitute both flours for just plain All Purpose Flour. Use whatever you have on hand!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Monkfruit Sugar
- 1 Egg Replacer from Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- Powdered Sugar, for dusting
- Baker’s Spray, for baking
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a cookie sheet pan with baker’s spray and set aside. Prepare the egg replacer.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add your chocolate chips and butter. Stir this until all of the chocolate chips melt and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat once the chocolate has melted. Allow to cool down.
- Once the chocolate has cooled down, add the chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the monkfruit sugar and egg replacer. Stir until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift the tapioca flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Add the cocoa powder. Then add this mixture to the wet mixture. Stir! The mixture should resemble traditional sugar cookie dough, if it does and it is crumbly, add more milk.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place the dough into plastic wrap and allow it chill in the fridge for 1 hour!
- Remove from fridge. Using your hands, shape the dough into balls. You can use a cookie scoop if necessary. Place the dough onto the cookie sheet and then smash down the dough using a fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven after 12 minutes and top with powdered sugar! Allow to cool before serving.
The post above contains affiliate links in which I will make a small profit from if you choose to make a purchase. Read more about this here.