First off, I want to say that I had no idea what I created when making these vegan chocolate fried donuts. I don’t even know what to even title this. I’m rolling with vegan chocolate fried donuts because that’s almost what it is? My greatest creations come from throwing ingredients together.
Originally, I wanted to make vegan beignets, but I changed my mind last minute. I didn’t feel like dealing with yeast and I didn’t feel like doing the most waiting for the dough to rise. I decided to just throw some ingredients together and see what I would get from there.
What I did was throw some all purpose flour, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Egg Replacer, vanilla extract, and salt to make these vegan chocolate fried donuts. It’s that simple! I would say these vegan chocolate fried donuts taste similar to a churro without cinnamon sugar.
Ways to elevate vegan chocolate fried donuts:
First things first: Use some type of nuts! I think some chopped cashews or hazelnuts will taste absolutely amazing in this recipe. I didn’t use them for this recipe because I was being lazy. Also, please note that if you’re making this recipe for someone that is nut free, ignore this!
Next, top these donuts with coconut flakes & a drizzle of coconut butter. Due to the fact that I used coconut butter in the chocolate mixture, I decided to not add more coconut flakes!
Fill the dough with the chocolate mixture instead of drizzling it on top for a super gooey effect. I wish that I had thought of this before making this recipe. Or, ooh I just thought of this – drizzle some nutella in the middle of the dough mixture and top with strawberries and bananas!!!
Above all, to make even better vegan chocolate fried donuts, layer your dough while kneading it. If you’ve watched a video on how to make biscuits before, you’d know that the dough overlaps each other – do this to create layers in the dough.
Can you make donuts without frying them?
Yes, you can absolutely make these vegan chocolate fried donuts without frying them. I would say test out rolling them into balls and topping them with coconut oil before placing them in the oven. You can even buy a donut baking pan and place this dough into the pan and bake them. If you do try this, make sure that you let me know!
Also, if you’re going to bake these donuts – then I think you should consider adding baking powder to this recipe as well. I think that will change the texture of these donuts which is fine. I’m so curious of how the outcome of this experiment would be, I’m going to test this out soon!
- Heat a dutch oven on the stove to 350 degrees F. Keep track of the temperature using a candy thermometer.
- Prepare your Gluten Free Eggs. Set aside.
- Begin by adding 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and 1 tsp baking soda to a medium bowl. Mix together.
- Add the gluten free eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Start by adding two tbsp of the macadamia milk to the bowl. Stir the dough, the dough should be a little crumbly but it should begin to come together. Keep adding the milk slowly (2 tbsp at a time) When finished adding all of the milk, the dough should be soft to touch.
- Add 2 tbsp flour to a surface and add your dough, knead it. Create layers by overlapping the dough on top of each other. Grab pieces of the dough once it is layered and add to the hot oil in the dutch oven. Fry until golden brown.
- Top with the chocolate mixture and confectioners’ sugar.
For The Chocolate:
- To a bowl, add your chocolate chips and coconut butter. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. If not completely melted, stir and microwave again for 15 seconds.
Want more desserts?
The post above contains affiliate links in which I will make a small profit from if you choose to make a purchase. Read more about this here.